Find Art & Design Programs Now
Art & Design Overview
Although robots are becoming more proficient in math and science analysis, they cannot generate entirely new and creative concepts. This is where your skills come into play. Whether you’re an animator, creative director, fine artist, engineer, or architect, there’s a significant demand for creative thinking and innovative solutions that cater to various industries.
Special Effects Artists and Animators
Getting a degree in Special Effects Artists and Animators is a fantastic choice for those aiming for careers like art director, animator, craft or fine artist, graphic designer, or web developer. Animation careers are available in advertising, gaming, TV or film, and even in fields like live events and medicine. After graduation, you could become a Visual Effects Supervisor, Lighting Director, Motion Graphics Designer, 3D Modeler, and more. For those looking to further their education, pursuing a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) is also an option.
Role & Responsibility
- Utilize computer software and illustrations to craft graphics and animations.
- Collaborate with a team of artists and animators to develop movies, games, or visual effects.
- Study upcoming projects to generate authentic designs and animations.
- Revise animations and effects based on input from directors, fellow animators, game designers, or clients.
- Meet with clients, fellow animators, game designers, directors, and other team members (including actors) to discuss deadlines and project progress.
|2020 Median Pay||$77,700 per year | $37.36 per hour|
|2021 Median Pay||$78,790 per year / $37.88 per hour|
|Work Experience in Related Occupation||None|
|Number of Jobs, 2020||62,400|
|Number of Jobs, 2021||58,900|
|Job Outlook, 2020-30||16%|
|Job Outlook, 2021-31||5%|
|Employment Change 2020-30||9,900|
|Employment Change 2021-31||3,200|
Based on national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary.
How to become
Most special effects artists and animators need a bachelor’s degree in computer graphics, art, or a related field to develop an impressive portfolio of work and the strong technical skills many employers prefer.